Monday, June 18, 2012

Week 3 Tom Hubbard

Tom Hubbard writes, "I've come to digital abstract art after a lifetime career of realistic photography. I was a television director in Norfolk and Atlanta before becoming a newspaper photographer in Atlanta and Cincinnati. While at the Cincinnati Enquirer, from 1966 to 1978, I won 22 Ohio awards for photojournalism and two national awards, including a National Press Photographers Association award for best photo story coverage of the Senate Watergate Hearings.
"I now bring abstract elements to the foreground, elevating them from a supporting role to being the subject. I work spontaneously on a piece until I see a theme. Each work remains abstract, but I see a visual theme or narrative.
"Themes arise automatically from a store of experiences from my career in realistic photography. Good photography elicits an emotional response. I work until I perceive an emotion represented in abstract forms. Usually, I feel authorship. Other times, images manifest themselves from beyond my conscious awareness."

I love the abstracts and the colors like he said the images manifest themselves everyone will get a different take on the image her is the artist web page http://studiohonline.com/tom/

The banner says it, I've gone from photojournalism to abstract digital art. Both are on this site.
Take your choice from the links below. I've gone from one extreme to the other. I first did photojournalism/documentary where I faithfully rendered the  scene or event in front of me.
My abstract began on the computer in 2000, but I can see I was preparing for abstraction, from doodling in high school to finding abstract patterns in realistic photography. 
In photojournalism, the scene was in front of me. In abstract work, the image originates somewhere inside of me. I'm fascinated by this.  I call it "abstract," but it's not pure abstract because there's content lurking in those designs. I'd call it "surreal," but that term has lost its original meaning in normal usage. My work is surreal.  Form is supported by mental and emotional content.
I'm doing mostly the abstract digital now but I want you to see photojournalism where I started. There's a lot here so I hope you will bookmark my site and come back. Thanks for looking.

He also has alot on his photojournalism I love this picture belowDelta Queen

3 comments: